Thursday, February 18, 2021

Things I Love: Sewing Edition

Another Things I Love and this time it's about a thing I love--sewing! I got into sewing at the beginning of 2019. I've made many skirts (you can check out my first skirt here and my lemon skirt here), some produce bags, a reversible baby bib, and have hemmed several secondhand skirts and dresses. (You can see my 2020 sewing recap here and all my sewing posts here.)

Bohin wrist pincushion. I shared this on my Things I Love September post, but it's for sure worth mentioning again as it is my favorite sewing tool. I love keeping my pins on my wrist and this pincushion is comfortable to wear. And stylish too, which is an added bonus.

Snips. When watching YouTube tutorials, I often see sewists using snips instead of scissors to trim their threads and I never really understood why. Until I started making face masks and was clipping threads VERY OFTEN. At first I used my embroidery scissors, then on a supply run I grabbed a pair of snips. Y'all. These things are AMAZING. Especially if you do a lot of sewing.

Dritz Easy Grap Pins. I love these purple pins! I picked them up at Hobby Lobby (on clearance for super duper cheap) when I first started sewing because I wasn't a huge fan of the pins that my mom gave me with my sewing machine. (They were fully metal without a big end to grab.) I've really liked these. At some point I ended up with a few regular pins with the colorful ball on the end but I like my purple ones better. The unique shape at the end is comfortable to grab and easy to use. However, if you like to iron over pins, get the glass ones. (I accidentally ironed over one the other day.)

Spool holder. At first I thought this was a want and not a need until I got SO TIRED of digging through the gallon sized zipper bag for a spool of thread and a matching bobbin. But I'm a cheapskate and kept putting off buying one. I don't know why. I think mine was $10 at Walmart. I love having it on my sewing table! Especially when I was constantly switching thread colors making masks. It also makes me feel like a real sewist, having it on my craft table behind my sewing machine.

Hot Ruler. Another want and not a need, but I really like being able to iron right over this ruler when I'm pressing a seam allowance. I picked this up at a local sewing shop and use it all the time!


No comments:

Post a Comment