Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Making Old things NEW

One of the best things about learning to sew has been to see clothes differently. Thrifting will never be the same! Instead of passing on skirts that are a tad too big or too long, now I know I can fix them!

I've had this white dress for about a year now. My Gramma gave it to me. Here's a thing you should know: My Gramma is more stylish than me. She has a collection of cute dresses and when she's done with them, I'm on the list for hand-me-downs. It never fails that I get compliments on the dresses she gives me, and people always ask, "Where did you get that dress?" Then I admit that I got it from my Gramma.

Anyhoo, so this dress came from Gramma. I thought it was cute, but I never wore it because I felt like I was wearing a tent. It just felt too big. But a few weeks ago, I saw it and wanted to wear it. I thought, "Maybe I'll like it better if it's a few inches shorter." So I went to the sewing room (aka my craft room/library/office/painting room... whatever project I'm working on today), cut off a few inches, and hemmed it right back up. Now I love it!

Unfortunately I managed to get black sharpie all over it in kids church that night, so now I've got to treat the stains. I can't wait to get them out and wear it again!

Here's the before photo! It's amazing what taking off a few inches can do!

No comments:

Post a Comment