Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Things I Love July


I always love reading lists of random things on other blogs, like Carly’s On My Radar and Diary posts and Mary Kate’s monthly favorites. So I’m going to give it a try as well!

Apple Pie | My old house had two apple trees. I absolutely loved picking fresh apples, but I soon had an overabundance of them! So I decided to learn how to make an apple pie. I found a recipe online, made some adjustments, and now my apple pie is kind of famous among people who’ve tried it. While I no longer have an apple tree, I often have a craving for apple pie--especially around the fourth of July! So of course I had to make one! I’m planning on making another one this weekend.

Walking to Work | One of the nice things about living half a mile from work is that I’m close enough to walk! When I have to work on Saturdays, Casey walks me to work then continues a few blocks to the farmers market where he picks me up a pastry for breakfast, then brings it back to me. I love those Saturday walks! This week I realized that I shouldn’t save walking to work for Saturdays, so I’m trying to get my act together and walk more often. I have no excuses! (Except for the notorious, daily South Louisiana rain, but that’s why I’ve got pink rain boots, right?) It’s a great opportunity to get some vitamin D and listen to an audiobook.

Audiobooks | Remember my book challenge? One of my challenges was to listen to an audiobook. I’ll have you know I finished two audiobooks and I’m on my third! I finally realized that I don’t like to listen to fiction--I want to read it myself--but I don’t mind listening to nonfiction. I’m currently listening to Mrs. Kennedy and Me by Clint Hill. I listen to all my audiobooks free through my library. Almost all public libraries have a collection of audiobooks you can download to your phone for free via various apps, so go to your local library and see what kind of options they have!

Cookbooks | I’m turning into my aunt. I always picked on her because when we’d go on vacations, I’d have a stack of YA fiction books (or e-books, thanks again public library!) and she’d have a pile of cookbooks. She doesn’t cook a lot, but she loves to look at cookbooks, and now so do I! I love grabbing cookbooks from the library and came home with five the other day. Casey and I have been going through them and noting recipes we want to try.

EKWIP camp | Every year, our church hosts a kids camp called EKWIP, which stands for Equipping Kids With Individual Purpose. I couldn’t be there the whole time due to work, but was able to go a few times. It’s amazing to see how many people put so much work into it. Many people take a week of vacation time from work so they can serve at EKWIP. They look forward to it every year and consider it an investment in our kiddos. I’m so blessed to be a part of the Pentecostals of Lee Road! Our church is truly our second family!

Front Porch Sitting | We visited my family for the fourth of July, and I mentioned to my mom's husband that I was looking for an outdoor table and chairs for our porch. He's great at finding things on Facebook Marketplace, so I wanted to mention it to him in case he found something. He found EXACTLY what I was looking for! I've been having a cup of tea and reading my Bible on the porch the last few weeks, and it is bliss. Such a great way to start the day. Sometimes we also have dinner outside or I'll go out there to work or paint. I love spending more time outside!

No comments:

Post a Comment