Monday, March 11, 2019

I MADE A SKIRT!

I had no idea when I wrote out my goals for this year that I would teach myself how to sew. It all started with these reusable produce bags. And it escalated quickly... I made this skirt!

I found this video tutorial and it is AMAZING. It's over two hours long and I watched the entire thing and decided I could probably do it. It's the perfect project for a sewing beginner. She teaches how to make a pattern and it's totally customizable--I made it to my measurements and the exact length I wanted it to be, which is great, because I sometimes find it hard to find skirts the length I like! I learned some new techniques, like gathering, how to hem, how to do a waistband, how to seam rip (I got lots of practice), etc.

Definitely don't look too close, because it's not perfect. BUT I'm still proud of it and I've already worn it a ton in the week and a half since I made it.

I'm now working on my second skirt. I decided to make some modifications to the original pattern. I'm moving the zipper to the back, adding two pockets, and shortening the hem half an inch. I thrifted some olive colored curtains for $6 that I'm making it with. I wanted to use cheap fabric since I'm messing with the pattern, just in case it doesn't work. Skirt number two has proved to be a major pain. I accidentally sewed the wrong sides together and had to seam rip a tonnnnn. But... it should be alright in the end! (Hopefully.)

Jumping into this sewing journey is opening up a world of possibilities! After I finish skirt number two and make sure it turns out alright with my modifications, I plan on using this fabric next. Isn't it cute?
I love fun clothes, so I'm excited to be able to make my own! I've been majorly inspired by this super fun art teacher's clothes, and hope to try out some of her ideas!

And for funzies, here's the original of that first pic. The brown wall just didn't work for me, so I turned it pink. I love photoshop!

No comments:

Post a Comment