Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Thrift Haul #1

I love thrifting and I'm so grateful to have a husband who is okay with this hobby of mine. He always makes sure to check for Goodwills and flea markets in every town we go to. So the other day when we were in LaPlace for a kitten adoption event (we foster kittens, I really need to make a post about that), we got there a little early and popped into the Goodwill across the street. It had so much awesome stuff and I only had about 20 minutes, but I came out with a great haul, including something on my thrift wish list!!

Patriotic blanket | I'm working on being more intentional with enjoying every season, and one of the ways I'm doing that is by incorporating seasonal decor into my home. I thought this blanket would be a nice patriotic touch since Independence Day is coming up.

Vintage pillowcases | My favorite section in the thrift store is the sheets and bedding. I love to search for cool sheets that I can use in sewing. I loved these precious floral pillowcases! One of them is in good condition and unfortunately the other is faded. That's okay though--it's still pretty! I don't know exactly what I will do with these, but I might turn one into a pillowcase dress for my niece.

Books | I can't help myself--I always have to check out the books. For a while, I bought all sorts of Middle Grade and Young Adult books for my teacher friend--she would give them to her students. But now she has a new job so I have no excuse to buy those books! I still love to browse though, and found these Boxcar Children graphic novels that I think her own kids will like. I couldn't pass up A Guide for Grown-ups with quotes from the author who wrote The Little Prince. I'm planning on giving this to my bestie who introduced me to The Little Prince.

Mugs | I do not need ANY more mugs... but. The one on the left was so cute and kept catching my eye. It was only a dollar, so I bought it because it makes me smile. The Cafe Du Monde mug has a special story!

A few months ago, Casey and I took the train into New Orleans for the weekend. We only live an hour's drive from NOLA, but thought it would be fun to go by train and be without our own transportation for the weekend. We had a blast. I wanted to buy a mug from Cafe Du Monde to commemorate our fun little trip, and Casey said, "I bet you could find one at Goodwill." Well, I took that as a challenge and I've been looking ever since. Three months later and I find a YELLOW one. I didn't even know they had them in fun colors--I was actually moving the yellow mug out of the way when I realized what it was. Anyways, I'm so happy Casey suggested I thrift it instead because I assure you, it means even more to me because I enjoyed hunting for it! (Plus I got it for a fraction of the cost of a new one.)

No comments:

Post a Comment