Tuesday, July 27, 2021

How We Use Amazon's Alexa

We got an Echo Dot for Christmas last year and at first I was like, "We do NOT need that thing." Casey hooked it up in the living room as soon as we got home and had her telling jokes and puns in no time.

I didn't see what this thing could do for us. I, however, have changed my tune.

1. Play music. In 2020, we decided to start listening to worship music at home more, and Alexa makes it so easy! I have it set to play worship music at 7:30 every morning and we keep it going throughout the day. When I read, I turn on a classical music playlist. Having music playing sets a peaceful atmosphere.

2. Set a timer. One of the ways I keep myself focused on tasks is to tell myself that I only have to work on it for ___ minutes. I constantly ask Alexa to set me a timer as I work, clean, whatever! 

3. Morning alarm. We currently have two Echo Dots--one in the living room and one in the office--but one week we decided to put it in our room to use as an alarm (Casey normally just wakes up at the same time every day, but had to get up earlier this week) and we LOVED having it in there! We don't keep phones in our room, so having it as an alarm worked perfectly. I plan to get another Echo Dot to keep in our room when they go on sale for Black Friday.

4. Turn on the light. I saw an ad on Facebook one day for a smart plug that was just $1. After some Googling to make sure it was legit, I purchased it and we hooked it up to our living room lamp. "Alexa, turn on the light." And our living room is lit! I want to get another one for the other lamp in the living room.

5. Ask Alexa. What time is it? What's the weather? I know I can look these things up on my phone... but it's easier to just ask Alexa. (Besides, I can't locate my phone a lot of the time... I think it grows legs and walks away sometimes.)

6. Connect to bluetooth. Such a cool feature. We can play music playlists from YouTube or I can listen to my audiobook as I do tasks around the house.

I never thought I'd have a "smart house" but I really love using our Echo Dots. They're part of the family now!

No comments:

Post a Comment