Monday, August 15, 2016

Meditation Monday: What's on God's Mind


Psalms 139:17-18 How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! How great is the sum of them! If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee.

Wow. The God of the entire universe thinks about me. This just gets to me. There are billions of people on this planet, but He thinks about me? And he thinks about me so much that it can’t be counted.

And, even more so, God isn’t concerned about my flaws; He’s consumed with my future. Does that mean my flaws should be ignored? No. My flaws should act as a motivation to praise God! But how wonderful is it to serve a God who chooses to see my future instead of my past mistakes?

Study


Let’s talk about David some more. (Because I love him so much.)

For reference, this is the first time we hear about David in the Bible. This is before he killed Goliath, before he became king. This is the story of his humble beginnings, and it’s found in 1 Samuel 16.
Once upon a time, there was the first king of Israel. His name was Saul. God had picked him to be king, but he disobeyed God, and God “rejected [him] from being king” (1 Samuel 15:23). Which meant that Israel needed a new king. So God told Samuel, a prophet, that he had picked out the new king of Israel, and he was the son of Jesse the Bethlehemite. 

Samuel goes to Bethlehem and finds Jesse and his sons. When Samuel sees Jesse’s son Eliab, he just knows this is the guy God has picked to be king.

1 Samuel 16:17 But the Lord said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart.

If you read on, Jesse ends up bringing seven of his sons before Samuel, thinking surely it’s this one. But every time, God says no, until finally David is brought out.

Samuel looked on the outside, but God looked on the inside. God sees every single person in a way that nobody else can see them. God sees something in YOU that nobody else sees. Human eyes can’t view me the way God does.

This is incredibly reassuring to me and inspires me to look at myself (and others) through God’s eyes instead of mortal eyes. To know there’s something special about myself and I may not be able to see it, but God sees it. Others may not be able to see it either, but that’s okay. God’s view is the one that matters, and He sees me as special and has many, many precious thoughts towards me.

Application


This week, Pastor has asked everyone to wake up and read Psalm 103, like we did Psalm 34 last week. I truly enjoyed waking up and reading the Word first thing every morning!

This post was inspired by my Pastor's message "The Secret of the Journey".

No comments:

Post a Comment