Monday, May 30, 2022

Wedding Quilts for my Besties

Two of my besties, Julianne and Sarah, got married this year! Julianne married my brother-in-law in January and Sarah married Zach (whom I've known since he was a child) in March. I wanted to make them each a wedding quilt, and I just finished Sarah's and Zach's, so I want to share them!

Julianne and Caleb's Quilt



This turned out to be the coziest quilt because the backing is a super soft sheet I thrifted. This quilt was made entirely from scraps and recycled materials, which is my fave kind of quilt. Every fabric has a story, and some of the fabrics were given to me by Julianne. As a fabric and second-hand collector herself, I knew Julianne would love it. She's assured me it's been plenty loved already.

Sarah and Zach's Quilt



I LOVE how this turned out. I did buy fabric for it because I wanted it to be in colors that went with their home, but I also wanted it to have a somewhat scrappy feel, so I did all the hearts in different fabrics. They're mostly from JoAnn, but some were already in my collection. The heart is from the Heirloom Hearts quilt by Lo and Behold Stitchery. I love that pattern, but didn't want to make the 9-patch blocks. 

The patchwork backing was not in the original plan. I was originally on task to finish this quilt before the wedding, but got sick and couldn't finish in time. While hanging out with Sarah the week before the wedding, she randomly showed me a patchwork quilt while she was scrolling Pinterest, so I thought it would be cool to make the backing of her quilt inspired by that photo. I used the scraps from the fat quarters I'd bought (a lovely way to reuse them since they aren't my style) plus some others in my scrap bins. I adore how this turned out and will probably do more patchwork quilts/backings in an attempt to use up some of my scraps.


No comments:

Post a Comment