Wednesday, January 9, 2019

2 0 1 9

It's 2019! How crazy is that? Like, wasn't it 2000 just a few years ago? No? Almost two decades now? Time flies.

Unfortunately my 2019 has been eventful already and not in a good way. I've been to the ER twice, had my first and second (and hopefully last) IVs, been diagnosed with strep throat, had an allergic reaction to the medication that made my face swell (I've refused to look in a mirror for three days), got more medication and a shot in the butt, and now I hope I'm FINALLY on the mend. Oh, this is also taking place after having a cold for three weeks.

Needless to say, I'm ready to be better so I can really get my 2019 started! I've spent the last 2.5 weeks on the couch trying to let my body heal, but I guess it was enjoying streaming Netflix a lot and decided to make me sick a few more days. So in the meantime, our house is a mess and we still have stuff in suitcases from our trip to Singapore/Malaysia. I keep having to remind myself that life goes on, even with a dirty house and the Christmas decor still out, and I'll get everything back in order "one day".

Casey has been the greatest blessing during these last few weeks, attending to my every need, holding my hand in the ER as I freaked out about the needles and IVs, making me food so I don't have to get up, attempting to handle the laundry (ya'll know that's a JOB), staying up with me all night as I fight fevers and sleeplessness, taking care of (and spoiling) Oxford. The list goes on and on.

The last few weeks haven't been fun, but it has forced me to work on focusing on my blessings instead of my temporary problems. That's a tough one for me to do sometimes. Most people don't believe it because I try to be positive, but I'm naturally pretty melancholy, a glass-half-empty type of person. This can be mentally unhealthy, so focusing on the good helps me turn my mindset around! Over the last few years I've learned that I am the one who chooses my attitude, and gratitude helps me get my attitude in check!

So here are some things I'm thankful for.

  • That I have a husband who treats me like a queen, even when I'm a royal pain in the butt.
  • That I didn't get strep (or have an allergic reaction) while in Asia. 
  • That I get to enjoy our beautiful home and our lovely green velvet vintage couch and comfy papasan all day every day.
  • That, even though it's not Christmas anymore, I still get to enjoy our Christmas decor (which is great since we were gone for two weeks of December).
  • That I have a lot of friends all over the world who have been covering me in prayer the last few weeks.

See? So much to be thankful for! And today, the sun is streaming through the windows, which puts an extra smile on my (still swollen) face.

When I sat down to write this post I had no idea where I was going, but as words poured out of my brain, I'm realizing that a good word for this year for me would be gratitude or thankfulness. To be intentional about finding the good every single day, even on the bad days and the sick days and the rainy days. There is always good to be found.

Sometimes the good is obvious, like on a day when you're hanging out with your friends in Singapore enjoying milk tea at Selfie Coffee, bubble tea at Gong Cha, Kaya Toast and a Milo Dinosaur at Toast Box (I promise we do things besides eat, but food is one of my favorite things), walking around Chinatown searching for souvenirs, participating in Vacation Bible School with a talented team of young adults and teenagers who've become your second family over the years. Ah yes, those days are good.

Sometimes the good is less noticeable, but it's there. The happy squirrel you spot playing outside the window while you wash dishes. Having a cup of tea in your favorite tea cup. Cuddling with your puppy. Your cute reusable grocery bag. Sunshine streaming through the window. A walk downtown to your favorite coffee shop. All small, simple things, but these small things have great power to remind me of beauty, love, and hope.

So now that this post has gone down a road I never expected it to go down (I guess that's what happens when I don't have a plan), let's end it with some scriptures about thankfulness!

Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever. Psalm 107:1

In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. 1 Thessalonians 5:18

And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. Colossians 3:17


Here's to having an attitude of gratitude in 2019!

No comments:

Post a Comment