Monday, June 29, 2020

At-Home Painting With A Twist Date Night

I mentioned in my last post that my husband and I had a "Painting With A Twist" inspired date night recently. I went to a Painting With A Twist a few years ago and really enjoyed it, but I didn't like the painting we did. (I went with a group of friends and just went along with the painting they chose.)

We pass our local Painting With A Twist often when we walk downtown, and, while the paintings are cute, I've never thought one was cute enough to hang in my house. PLUS I'd want to do it with my husband which means we'd have not one, but TWO paintings that we'd wonder what to do with. So, cheapskate me could never justify a date night there. But then I thought, why don't we just do one at home?
So I went to my fave store, Hobby Lobby (when you collect hobbies, you frequently find yourself here), and picked up supplies. All the painting supplies were half off, and, honestly, that's the only time you should ever buy anything at Hobby Lobby. Everything goes on sale every few weeks. I picked up:
  • a set of 20 (I think) acrylic paints
  • pack of paintbrushes
  • plastic mixer things (didn't really need them, but I read a blog post that inspired me to get them, and they were only a few dollars)
  • watercolor paper (instead of canvas. Plus, I was out of watercolor paper, so it did double duty. Yes, I do some watercolor too. *points at self* Hobby Collector.)
My total bill was around $30, but I also picked up some other things, so probably the paint stuff we needed was around $20. Which, I might add, is about half the price for ONE person to do Painting With A Twist. AND I have enough supplies that we can do it again. Or I can do it again. I was wanting to take up acrylics anyway, so this was a really good reason for me to get supplies. 

After acquiring my supplies, I found a beginner acrylics tutorial on YouTube for us to follow. We didn't have the exact same brushes, but used similar ones and it worked out just fine.

And then... we painted! And had fun! And made a mess! (Okay, I made a mess. I'm a messy painter.) And we made some really cute paintings that I need to hang up in the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment